Thursday, July 10, 2008

A month of fun

It's hard to believe that the last time I posted something was a month ago. It's actually a rare time in my year when I have no time at all to be online, but this was one of them! Impact took us away for 2 weeks...then a week of painting, sewing, cleaning took up the next...then Wayne and Cassie took off for the Ukraine to help build up our sister church in Bela Tserkov. The other two girls and I headed for Georgia!

It was so great to be with John and Katharine Williams again. They were our backyard neighbors for the three years John was in residency here in Temple. Emma Kate who will soon be 5 and Henry who turned 3 just a few days ago were both born during that time. Lauren turns 1 tomorrow, but we were so blessed last summer to be in GA during the time she was born.


Brennan and Henry during movie time...









It was a time of firsts for us...the first plane ride for Brennan and Aisley who LOVED flying and wandering through airports...the first time for us to see Lake Burton (much, much more on that later!)...first trip to Add Drug Store in Athens, GA...first time for us to meet dear brothers and sisters in the Lord including Gregg and Becky Soles whom we will now pray for with faces in mind...


Aisley, Lauren and Emma Kate waiting on lunch at the lake...







But it was also a time of reconnecting with those we've met before. We so love them and their parents who make you feel like you are a special part of their families. It's not so much about southern hospitality (though they really do that well!) as it is a sense from them that they are thrilled to see you and so grateful that you've come. We feel enjoyed. The kids love Aisley and Brennan and it took all of about a minute for them to jump back into playing and talking. It was such a gift.

And it made me want to be that more here, in my world. I want people closest to me to know that I am thrilled that God put them there. I want them to feel enjoyed for who they are and how God uses them to bless His body. To let them have the freedom to just be who they are, with a great sense inside of me that I can leave them to God and just rest in who they are today. After all, God Himself is sanctifying them completely. (1 Thess. 5:23)

This isn't a new idea for me...but I feel more intensely today how poor I am at obeying His Word...just as an example, Colossians 3...
12 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
Not too hard when there's an end date in mind, when they're leaving in a few days, but a little more of a challenge in the day to day relationships. But God does not command what He does not supply. I can by His grace obey His Word...I am His chosen one, holy and beloved. His Spirit is alive here. I will not say, "I can't".

I think today the words from above for me to dwell on are humility and meekness. The more I see myself in light of the perfections of God, the more I will dwell with His people with humility and grace...the more I can delight in the Lord, the more I can delight in His church.

So, I'm thankful today for John and Katharine, Russ and Cookie & Grady and Emma Jean for showing me in the flesh what to think of as I walk toward others today...joy and love, affection and laughter, generosity and gratitude, humility and grace, ease and summer time resting. What a gift.

No comments: