Thursday, January 8, 2009

Out of the closet

Sounds worse than it is. Promise. All I'm doing is admitting that I'm pulling for the Florida Gators to win tonight's championship. But to some of my more ardent GA Bulldog friends...well, let's just say, it's possible that they might be more sympathetic to the other use of "out of the closet" than this one.

I know that the SEC takes rivalry to an all new level. Most of them can't believe that Texas fans will pull for other Texas schools when they play outside the conference. John and Nathan can't even stay in a Florida town without counting the minutes until they go home.

But, come on, guys. Tim Tebow.

Please. He loves the Lord. He serves the poor. He mentors kids in the inner city. He even serves in prisons and talks about Christ wherever he's got a minute. Don't believe me? Read this. You'll see what I mean. Even that columnist who writes for ESPN says this:
It truly would be a shame to submit to cynicism and not fully appreciate the gift of Tebow -- the way he plays football with an unquenchable passion, and the way he approaches life with even greater ardor. If you think he hits linebackers hard on fourth-and-1, that's nothing compared to the way he tackles his higher calling to spread the word. In this one instance, what looks too good to be true really is true.
His passion for spreading the word is higher than his passion for sports? I mean, come on. Can't you just this once lay aside your hatred for all things Florida and root for a guy who represents Christ so well? Just this once? You can do it. I know you can.

(Besides, what do you want me to do? Root for Oklahoma?! Please. I don't think so. Jesus only asks so much of us.)

1 comment:

Katharine said...

i am typing very quietly so john can't hear, shhhh, but i can't help but pull for our brother too... and I can't wait for him to go pro and get out of that state!! love you! and thanks for letting me know about the spring Bible studies, sigh, you are serving Him well.